Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ohhh So Funky Frocs!

I'm sure everyone has experienced what is commonly referred to as a "bad hair day". In my life, I feel like I have had more bad hair days than the average. I tend to be consumed with how my hair looks. My personal way of thinking is, no matter what my clothes look like, as long as my hair is done, and my shoes are nice, I will look good. That may not be the case, but it works for me.

So, right now, i'm rocking au-nautural! "Being" beautiful is easy, "doing" beautiful....uhm, easy to miss the mark. But these folks tend to have it down packed, literally (the hair)!

There is no such thing as a "bad hair day" for these bombshells. Two of my favorite
"I DON'T GIVE A EFF" DIVAS!









So awesome what a sense of individuality and self expression can do. The origin of the Afro was created by black women in the 1960's. Not only the age of the civil rights movement, but a monumental time for women in general. It was a great period of change for African American culture in the U.S. Initially, the afro hair style for black women was looked down on, and considered unacceptable. They were considered undesirable by black men, denied jobs, and heavily criticized. As the afro became popular, black beauticians were losing business because it cut down on the trips to the beauty salon every two weeks, which is a must for black women to have "good" or acceptable straightened hair. It is a style that is less demanding of attention and virtually, the "natural" state of African American hair.
I recognize that the Afro created such freedom of expression and liberation for black women worldwide. It's more than a hair style, its become a way of life.




Remember the time... Ahhh Mike, I love you!




































(Today's Pics are from weheartit.com)